Jonathan Rea took a clear win in race 1 here today, his third of the season aboard his Ten Kate Honda
. Max Biaggi, second in the first race and first in the second, put himself on a clear course to win the 2010 SBK Championship aboard his well sorted and well ridden Aprilia.
After a miserable weekend at Misano only two weeks ago, Rea grabbed the race 1 lead on the opening lap and never looked back in a well managed race. Max Biaggi followed him home, the Italian forced to work his way back into contention after an odd lack of pace in the early laps saw him lose touch with the leader.
The Roman Emperor’s pace was back in the closing laps as Biaggi passed Cal Crutchlow (Yamaha
) four laps from the end and even built up a small cushion on his way to the flag, with Crutchlow saving his bacon with a well judged third on used-up tires.
Just behind that trio, an improving Sylvain Guintol (Suzuki
) produced a confident run to fourth, while Ruben Xaus scored his best result ever with BMW
, coming in fifth.
In race 2, Biaggi and Rea fought hard until lap seven, whereupon the Aprilia ace pulled out a 4 sec gap that he managed to hold to the flag, his ninth race win of the season.
Rea settled for a distant second place, thus completing an excellent points-paying meeting for him, while Michel Fabrizio (Ducati
) inherited the final step on the podium after Ruben Xaus, fifth in race 1, denied himself as superb third place finish on the BMW with a crash six laps from home.
The good news on the BMW front is that the bike is improving every time out, and will be a real contender when quick rider Troy Corser return, having missing both race here due to a heavy crash in practice.
Biaggi's quest to win this year's title has also been given a significant boost after his closest pursuer in the championship, Leon Haslam (Suzuki), ended up eight and tenth. Biaggi’s lead over Haslam grew from a tightish 37 points to a more comfortable 68, after 9 of the 13 meetings this season.
WSBK Brno Race 1 - Results
Pos. Rider Team/Bike Gap
1. Jonathan Rea Honda 20 Laps
2. Max Biaggi Aprilia +2.518s
3. Cal Crutchlow Yamaha +4.071
4. Sylvain Guintoli Suzuki +7.160s
5. Ruben Xaus BMW +8.602s
6. Noriyuki Haga Ducati +11.379s
7. James Toseland Yamaha +11.513s
WSBK Brno Race 2 - Results
Pos. Rider Team/Bike Gap
1. Max Biaggi Aprilia 20 Laps
2. Jonathan Rea Honda +4.627s
3. Michel Fabrizio Ducati +13.600s
4. James Toseland Yamaha +16.372s
5. Noriyuki Haga Ducati +17.530s
6. Carlos Checa Ducati +21.704s
7. Sylvain Guintoli Suzuki +23.769s
WSBK Standings - After 9 of 13 rounds
1. Max Biaggi Aprilia 352 points
2. Leon Haslam Suzuki 284 points
3. Jonathan Rea Honda 203 points
4. Carlos Checa Ducati 189 points
5. Noriyuki Haga Ducati 172 points