After much expectations and “Leaks” to the press, BMW Motorrad has just lifted the veil on their new King-of-the-Road models, with the most sophisticated touring motorcycles on the market.
, speeds and feeds are much as we had described in a previous article.
Both new models come with the all-new transversal 6-cylinder engine. Here are a few impressive figures about the new mill: 1649cc, 160hp at 7750rpm, 129 lb-ft at 5250rpm, over 70% of the maximum torque available from 1500rpm.
Here is an extract from the BMW Press release regarding the GT and GTL specifics:
As reported by BMW
BMW K1600GT with active riding ergonomics for proactive touring
The design of the ergonomic triangle from the position of the footrests, seat top and handlebars makes for a highly proactive seating position in the K1600GT, while still retaining a high level of long-distance comfort. The rider and pillion passenger seating position is geared towards the front wheel for a dynamic riding style. The seat is height-adjustable in the rider area.
BMW K1600GTL with comfortable, relaxed ergonomics ideal for long trips with pillion passenger
Rider and pillion passenger benefit from the very relaxed, upright seating position as is especially appreciated over long distances. The ergonomic design is geared towards maximum comfort and derives from a single-section, dual level seat in conjunction with rider footrests which are further forward and lower, as well as handlebars which reach further backwards. The standard topcase rounds off the range of comfort features for the pillion passenger.
Like the K1600GT, the K1600GTL has a very extensive range of standard features consisting of xenon headlamps, heated grips and seat, cruise control and on-board computer. The overall impression of the fascinating 6-cylinder motorcycle in combination with a carefully conceived storage concept, a standard audio system and numerous design elements make the BMW K1600GTL the flagship model among the BMW Motorrad touring bikes.
Key features of the BMW K1600GT/ K1600GTL include:
- Three modes to choose from ("Rain", "Road", "Dynamic")
- High active safety due to standard BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part integral).
- Dynamic traction control DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) for maximum safety when accelerating (optional extra).
- Chassis with Duolever and Paralever and ideal mass concentration for dynamic riding properties combined with optimum comfort.
- Electronic Suspension Adjustment ESA II for optimum adaptation to all uses and load states (optional extra).
- Adaptive Headlight (optional extra) for increased safety at night in conjunction with standard xenon headlamp and fibre optic rings.
- Audio system with preparation for navigation device and controllable interface for iPod, MP3, USB, Bluetooth and satellite radio (USA and Canada only) (standard in the K1600GTL).
- Innovative design with outstanding wind and weather protection.
- K1600GT with active riding ergonomics for proactive touring.
- K1600GTL with a very comfortable, relaxed ergonomics set-up for long trips with pillion passenger as well as luxurious touring equipment.
- Central locking for storage compartments, panniers and topcase (optional extra).
- Extensive fittings and individually tailored accessories at the familiar high level of BMW Motorrad.
We will naturally chase after BMW hard to ride the new models and fill you in on all the details of these exciting new models, including Canadian availability and pricing.