MotoGP: Pedrosa takes over from Stoner
HRC Honda’s Dani Pedrosa took over the top of the chart from his team-mate Casey Stoner on the second day of testing at Sepang even lowering his best time under the 2m00 marks.
His time was fast enough to be more than half a second faster than what Stoner was able to do, while Team Yamaha’s Ben Spies ended up in third spot.
"I think it's the first time I've ridden so fast on this track, but you're just fresh in the morning and I did four very good first laps," the Spaniard said.
"I tried the new engine, which has improved from Valencia, some chassis configurations and rear shocks. Tomorrow the plan is to continue comparing both bikes and it would be great to come away with the chassis and engine decided for the next test."
Andrea Dovizioso made it three HRC bikes in the top four, while Marco Simoncelli, using a factory RC212V was fifth.
World champion Jorge Lorenzo was seventh fastest after spending the day evaluating a new chassis for his factory Yamaha, while, once again, Valentino Rossi struggled with his injured shoulder finishing a distant 13th.
Pos Rider Team Time Gap
1. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m00.770s
2. Casey Stoner Honda 2m01.434s + 0.664s
3. Ben Spies Yamaha 2m01.508s + 0.738s
4. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 2m01.512s + 0.742s
5. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 2m01.522s + 0.752s
6. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 2m01.534s + 0.764s
7. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m01.563s + 0.793s
8. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 2m01.687s + 0.917s
9. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 2m01.722s + 0.952s
10. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 2m02.093s + 1.323s
11. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m02.379s + 1.609s
12. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 2m02.426s + 1.656s
13. Valentino Rossi Ducati 2m02.597s + 1.827s
14. Kousuke Akiyoshi Honda Test 2m02.619s + 1.849s
15. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m03.032s + 2.262s
16. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 2m03.047s + 2.277s
17. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 2m03.466s + 2.696s
18. Toni Elias LCR Honda 2m04.026s + 3.256s