MotoGP: Once again Stoner
Casey Stoner (Honda) took his eight victory of the current 2011 MotoGP season by dominating the Aragon Grand Prix weekend and extending his lead atop the championship to 44 points.
The Australian only lost the lead to Dani Pedrosa (Honda) and Ben Spies (Yamaha) at the green flag only to charge back to the front around the first corner.
He then sped away and was never challenged all thru the race, managing to create a gap of more than 8 seconds over his closest challenger team-mate Dani Pedrosa.
The result was the 100th win for the Repsol/Honda alliance at the top level.
Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) was able to stand on the last place available on the podium by taking advantage of an error, made by Marco Simoncelli (Gresini Honda) who ran wide on lap 10.
Spies, who had already lost second to Pedrosa wasn’t able to keep pace with the leaders and soon was overtaken by Simoncelli and ended up fifth.
Valentino Rossi (Ducati) had made good progress in the early stages of the race, but it seems the Italian could not get enough speed to catch his rivals in front of him and had to settle with 10th.
MotoGP Aragon Results
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time/Gap
1. Casey Stoner Honda 42m17.427s
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda + 8.162s
3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha + 14.209s
4. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda + 20.646s
5. Ben Spies Yamaha + 27.739s
6. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki + 30.373s
7. Nicky Hayden Ducati + 34.288s
8. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati + 37.305s
9. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha + 39.652s
10. Valentino Rossi Ducati + 39.832s
11. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda + 39.997s
12. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati + 54.717s
13. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha + 58.430s
Toni Elias LCR Honda 16 laps
Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 16 laps
Andrea Dovizioso Honda 0 laps
Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 0 laps