AMA SX: Chad Reed back on top
More than 53,342 fans were on hand Saturday night at the Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego to witness long-time favourite Chad Reed (Honda) takes his first AMa Supercross win of the 2011 season.
Right from the outset, Reed took the holeshot in the Class 450 main event closely followed by Trey Canard (Honda) and Andrew Short (KTM). Canard successfully took over top spot from Reed but only for a five laps before falling and stalling his bike. Reed assumed the lead and held it for the remainder of the main event.
Canard was able to remount on his bike and managed to climb back to third while James Stewart (Yamaha) took over second. However, on Lap 15, Stewart stalled his bike, falling to fourth.
While running second, Canard suffered his second fall of the evening, allowing Ryan Dungey (Suzuki) to secure second with Stewart in third. They would complete the podium in that order.
Championship leader Ryan Villopoto (Kawasaki) crashed on the opening lap, but fought through the field to secure a seventh place allowing him to secure a three-point advantage over Stewart in the points.
AMA Supercross Class 450 Results: San Diego round
Pos. Rider Make
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
5. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
7. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
9. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM
10. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
AMA Supercross Class 450 Season Standings – After 7 of 17 rounds
Pos. Rider Bike Points
1. Ryan Villopoto Kawasaki – 146
2. James Stewart Yamaha – 143
3. Chad Reed Honda – 130
4. Trey Canard Honda – 130
5. Ryan Dungey Suzuki – 123