For 2011, BRP is attacking the side-by-side ATV segment with the highly-anticipated Commander lineup, made up of the 800R, 800R XT, 1000, 1000 XT and 1000 X models. These machines promise aggressive styling, power, fuel economy and superior ergonomics.
The new Commander family's promising performance and efficiency come from the 71-horsepower Rotax 800 EFI and the 85-horsepower Rotax 1000 EFI. According to the manufacturer, the Commander 1000 burns 35 percent less fuel than its closest rival.
Power is managed by a continuously-variable transmission (CVT) and a transfer case for high, low, park, neutral & reverse. The rider can also select 2WD or 4WD by pushing a button on the dashboard.
For work or recreation, the Commander offers a wide array of features and technologies to reduce driver fatigue and improve its capability and versatility:
- Intelligent Throttle Control (ITC)
- 37.8L fuel tank
- Visco-Lok auto-locking front differential
- Quick-ratio (10.2:1) steering
- Fully independent suspension
- Rollover cage, seatbelts and side nets for occupant protection
- Passenger handhold and grab bar
- Removable and adjustable seats
- Tilt-adjustable steering wheel
- 17.2L glove box, dual cup holders and 13.1L of underseat storage
- Industry-exclusive dual-level cargo box
- Anti-theft alarm with encoded keys
The 2011 Commander boasts a 272-kg payload and 680-kg towing capacity. Dual 214mm ventilated disc brakes with hydraulic twin-piston calipers up front and a single 214mm ventilated disc brake, also with hydraulic twin-piston calipers, are part of the package. The long-travel (250mm) front and rear suspensions provide a generous 280mm ground clearance..
And great news for full-size pickup truck owners: this side-by-side ATV can fit in most cargo beds, allowing easier transportation.
Bottom line — the 2011 Can-Am Commander seems to possess all the key ingredients enthusiasts look for in this type of machine: versatility, comfort, superior cargo and towing capacities, power and safety. Last but not least, an impressive selection of accessories and gear is available from a model-specific catalog.