MotoGP: Spies takes maiden victory
Team Yamaha Ben Spies earned his first ever MotoGP race Saturday in the Dutch Grand prix at Assen, after his team-mate Jorge Lorenzo and Marco Simoncelli were involved in an accident on the opening lap.
After the incident involving pole sitter Simoncelli and current champion Lorenzo, the American dominated the race following the accident which occurred at Turn 4 - the tight left-hander, which spread out the field a little.
The accident occurred when Simoncelli literally threw his Gresini Honda down the inside of the wide Lorenzo, the back end of his back snapped out and collected the Yamaha.
Both riders managed to get back on their bikes, but it was too late as Spies moved out front and quickly gained a three seconds gap over his rivals.
Behind him, Honda riders Casey Stoner and Andrea Dovizioso, engaged in a brief battle for second before the Australian gained the upper hand and began chasing Spies.
He reduced the gap down to 3.5s but his front tire appeared to struggle as the race went on and Stoner finally settled for second ahead of a distant Dovizioso.
Valentino Rossi, riding his new version Ducati finished fourth in front of his team-mate Nicky Hayden.
Lorenzo was able to save his day's work by finishing 6th, as his opponent Simoncelli ended up in 9th.
MotoGP Dutch Grand Prix - Results
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time/Gap
1. Ben Spies Yamaha 41m44.659s
2. Casey Stoner Honda + 7.697s
3. Andrea Dovizioso Honda + 27.506s
4. Valentino Rossi Ducati + 30.684s
5. Nicky Hayden Ducati + 43.172s
6. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha + 44.536s
7. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha + 1m08.112s
8. Hiroshi Aoyama Honda + 1m10.753s
9. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda + 1m24.925s
10. Toni Elias LCR Honda + 1m26.216s
11. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki + 1m38.466s
12. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati + 1 lap
13. Kousuke Akiyoshi Gresini Honda + 1 lap
14. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha + 2 laps
Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1 lap
Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 0 laps